Let's Talk Race: A Guide for White People (Paperback)
Real conversations about racism need to start now
Let's Talk Race confronts why white people struggle to talk about race, why we need to own this problem, and how we can learn to do the work ourselves and stop expecting Black people to do it for us.
Written by two specialists in race relations and parents of two adopted African American sons, the book provides unique insights and practical guidance, richly illustrated with personal examples, anecdotes, research findings, and prompts for personal reflection and conversations about race.
- Seeing the varied forms of racism
- How we normalize and privilege whiteness
- Essential and often unknown elements of Black history that inform the present
- Racial disparities in education, health, criminal justice, and wealth
- Understanding racially-linked cultural differences
- How to find conversational partners and create safe spaces for conversations
- Conversational do's and don'ts.
Let's Talk Race is for all white people who want to face the challenges of talking about race and working towards justice and equity.